Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Not enough hours in a day...

It seems like there really isn't enough time these days to do anything! Between school, social engagements and promoting my photography, there doesn't seem to be enough time to just sit back and relax! Though to be fair, my relaxation is usually when I'm at a photography gig, but things have been slow on that front. With all of that going on, there is also the pressure from my parents to find a "nice boy and get married". As the days go by, it seems more and more difficult to meet a "nice boy". Seems that my definition of a "nice boy" varies greatly from my parents. According to them, a "nice boy" is someone who has a good education, steady job and comes from a good family. Of course those things are important, but to me a "nice boy" usually means someone who will be kind to me, encourage me to pursue my dreams (even some of the crazy ones :P) and will be good to me. I guess my parents want that too, but I guess they assume if he's successful, then he'll be good, which is not necessarily true.

The more weddings I go to, the more I think about what I'm looking for in my future husband. I may joke around that I want someone who is six feet tall and looks like an Adonis, but those are just bonuses. The most important thing to me is religion, and though it may seem a simple request, it is actually so hard to find someone like that. Anyone that seem to care about Islam, usually is looking for a hijabi girl. It's true that I do not wear a hijab (maybe someday, inshallah) but it does not mean that I do not share the same values as those who do. I may not know as much as those who do, but I do like learning more about my religion, and hope to become a better person as time goes by. Most guys always seem surprised when I mention that Islam is important to me. I guess growing up in Canada, not wearing hijab usually gives that vibe; I'm not really sure why though!

I have also noticed, that guys usually don't approach me with the intention of starting a relationship with me. I'm not saying I'm ugly, or am fishing for compliments. I'm just saying that's what I've noticed. Based on that, the assumption I have drawn is that the only way I'll meet someone is if I talk to, or hang out with someone on a regular basis. Which isn't too bad, but this still poses a problem of actually trying to find someone. I guess I'm old fashioned in thinking that if a guy is interested, he should do the work in talking to the girl and getting to meet up with her. I mean, if he doesn't show any interest, how in the world will she know to reciprocate. I've been in situations where I thought a guy was interested, only to realize he was just being friendly. It's not the end of the world or anything, these things happen, but I would still like to avoid something like this happening in the future.

Anyway, I may as well end this rant before it really gets out of hand. It's just something that I had on my mind and had to get out.

SA

No comments: